From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:09:57 -0400
Regarding the mother who thought her baby was a pillow sort of reminds me of
the man who mistook his wife for a hat.  And yes, I'm sure mom must have been
on something more than room air.  I agree that to tell all mothers that they
can't co-sleep because of something like this is tantamount to telling
everyone in NY that they can't use the toilets because there may be an
alligator in the sewer.....

By the by, I had my first experience today with the new Medela Advance kits.
 Our hospital just switched over, so having been on vacation, had not been
personally introduced to one before.  A question:  The suction, when the mom
was double pumping on max was MUCH less than when she was single pumping.  In
fact, on max, there wasn't any difference between min & max.  Did I do
something wrong?  I asked for a new set up, but thought I better check with
the group that knows -- especially if I'm doing something incorrect -- and
yes, both valves were in firmly....having been renting Medela pumps for 11
years, I think I do know how to work them, but I really couldn't figure out
what the problem was here.  The mother had said it didn't work right; the
nurse couldn't figure it out -- so it was Jan, LC par excellance to the
rescue -- so much for the rescue..... was unable to stay long enough to check
out the next kit, but will see Mom tomorrow and see if that made a
difference....

Inquiring minds....

Jan Barger