From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:33:29 -0500
Being a product of the late 50's methodology of birthing and feeding, I went through a few years of therapy trying to understand why I am so hooked on the "fight or flight" response.. from always leaving a few minutes late (gotta get that rush!) to procrastinating in my work, or staying up too late to get a good night's sleep.. it is like I am hooked on stress... and this is a terrible habit to reverse. I will tell parents, who ask me about CIO, that as a CIO product, I have insomnia and have had most of my life. Bedtime and sleep time were not pleasant times for me. I always felt alone and frightened. My daughters, on the other hand, who slept with us for years and were not made to CIO, sleep anywhere, soundly. They are happy sleeping with their partners and don't understand the meaning of insomnia.

I have always maintained that we are a "crazy making" society.. we expend tremendous energy teaching our infants not to trust us to come when they call and to sleep alone, then we expect them to trust us when they are teenagers and adults and we then send them to therapy and spend thousands on sleep remedies when they are unable to sleep in the same bed as anyone else... but, hey... that's what these babies were trained to do.. why expect them to change as adults?

Re: Jennifer's comment about gut integrity and brain function - how true! There is a reason that we have an epidemic of auto-immune disorders in our culture. How sad that for many years we were told that CFS/FM were psychosomatic and could not find treatment for our pain and fatigue. We are a casualty of sleep training and formula feeding ad lib... I have long wanted to get some hard core data on the exact percentage of those with AI disorders who were formula fed and those that were breastfed (and for how long - "having ever been breastfed" being so misleading), and we could add "left to CIO" to the list to get a real picture.

Well, back to bed to fight off this flu virus (which my breastfed husband and daughter just brushed off with barely a sniffle while I was semi delirious for 2 days...though I did have amazing "fever dreams").

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL and one of those lactation consultants who, according to one of the sleep training and PDF advocates do not "have a working understanding of the associated breast-feeding benefits."