From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:35:09 -0500
 Evi wrote about new legislation. While I found much of this legislation
valuable, I really think this next part is too weak:
"When You Leave the Maternal Healthcare Facility: The right to refuse any
gifts or take-home packets, distributed by the maternal healthcare facility,
that contain commercial advertising or product samples."

Most mothers WILL NOT REFUSE the gift bag. The nurses will say "do you want
this free gift bag? or do you want these information brochures? or do you
want these free samples?" and the mothers will say "YES!"

I disagree with the following statement (sorry did not copy who made this
statement, I think it was attached to the explanation of the legislation by
committee members):
"Among other provisions, the Breastfeeding Bill of Rights will ensure that
commercial interests do not improperly interfere with this important
postnatal decision."

The bill as it stands WILL NOT ensure interference by commercial interests.
The WHO Code must be legislated/enforced. Banning the bags and enforcement
of the Code is the only way.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA