From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:57:05 -0500
After 21 years of helping moms and babies, I would still not feel
comfortable predicting whether or not a baby will have trouble with a
latchon  to a flat nipple. With an eager baby, a dedicated mom, and good
assistance and tips.........who knows?

I will admit however to some " private UH OHs" when I see some nipples.  I
feel glad to have had a lot of experience in helping moms form the breast
and get enough in the baby's mouth for a good latch.

At this time, flat nipples don't cause near the problems that I see with
what are called "meaty nipples".  These are very thick skinned,
nonprotracting nipples that babies have a difficult time drawing in.
Fortunately I don't see them very much.  Any tips on what to do in the case
of these thick skinned nipples? (Mom can't  pull out nipples and put thumb
on top of the areola just behind the nipple and index finger under the
areola just behind the nipple and be able to feel the pressure of one finger
on the other)

If you have been successful with these, please share............

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
Waxhaw, NC
whose MD told her 23 years ago that she would have a hard time breastfeeding
because her nipples were "too soft".  Whatever that means.  Meant nothing to
any of my four children who nursed for a total of 16 years............