From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:27:13 -0700
Did a follow-up today on the mom with the "sunburn" rash and mastitis. She
reported that in the day after I saw her, that the rash spread downward all
the way to her ankles, and became so itchy that she had to take benadryl to
cope. In addition to the rash, she also experienced swelling and edema that
peaked with the rash on Saturday; her hands and fingers swelled, and her
face became so bad that her eyes were almost swollen shut for a day. Mom's
fever did not fully break until last night; this morning she was finally
back to normal. She says her eyes and hands are still a bit swollen, though
I was not able to tell.

Now that I can see her breasts, there is a definite large wedge of red on
the outer side of her right breast, and a small red area in the upper inner
quadrant of her left breast. She has a lot of stretch marks all the way
around the breast that are still very red as well-- I am assuming that she
experienced severe stretching because of pregnancy growth on top of implants
that had already moved her up two cup sizes. Breasts are firm, but she
reports them to be "normal" now. I would consider compressibility to be an
issue now that I see "normal."

Baby is latching well to breast, but only took 15ccs on each side. Mom says
that she pumps ~15ccs after feedings as well. I was hoping to see an
increase in milk production by this time, and am hoping that the delay is
related to the edema and slow receding of symptoms. Very unusual case!

Lisa Marasco