From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:18:59 -0500
I agree with Norma's comments about this video. I only saw the clips too and
the text seems to be very good.  But I don't care for alot of the images.
Most of the moms have that finger up on the back of the baby's head and
everyone seems to be using breastfeeding pillows and blankets and sitting up
in chairs with high arms (which I find very difficult for good positioning).
Most of the moms look very awkward with the positions they've chosen
(chicken wing).  I realize I'm very critical as an IBCLC, but I want
comfortable, happy, moms and babies in the images I present to parents and
only images of excellent position and latch.  I know moms breastfeed in all
sorts of creative holds when their babies are older, but when I'm teaching a
pregnant or just-birthed mom, I want only the best images.  And I really
don't like seeing pictures of moms covering up with a thick blanket on a
park bench with the narrator saying that nobody will know what you're doing
under there!  Hello!!  The blanket is screaming to passers-by "Look at me
breastfeeding in public!"  I'd much rather see her sitting in the grass
cross-legged with her baby in her lap and her t-shirt up.

I like Rebecca Glover's Follow Me Mum, Lenard Righard's Delivery Self-
Attachment, and Christina Smillie's Baby Led Attachment.  I love the image
in Dr. Smillie's video when the baby latches on and the mom throws her head
back and says "WOW!"  There's no more powerful or empowering image than
that!  Who wouldn't want to feel that glee?

Linda Anderegg, BSN, RNC, IBCBC in Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:23:56 -0400From: Norma Ritter

Subject: breastfeeding video's

Ann suggested this video and so I checked it out.

>"Better Breastfeeding: Your Guide to a Healthy Start" by InJoy video's

 <http://injoyvideos.com/product.php?proid=85>
http://injoyvideos.com/product.php?proid=85 &page=Better_Breastfeeding<

There are snips from each section at the website and I looked at the one on
positioning.

I was disturbed to learn that mothers should ask for their babies to be put
on their tummies AFTER being cleaned up. How much more effective to get skin
to skin IMMEDIATELY after birth. no explanation was given for delaying this
procedure.

I was also disturbed to see that the mother in the video was holding the
back of her baby's head. Yes, her thumb and forefinger were behind each ear,
but her palm and fingers were clearly pushing her baby's head into her
breast.

Of course I was only able to see short snips of the entire video, but from
what I did see, I was not too impressed.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC

 <outbind://24/www.NormaRitter.com> www.NormaRitter.com