From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:42:59 -0600
When I was in nursing school decades ago, we regularly recited the
Nightingale pledge, promising to be the 'handmaidens' of the physicians.  I
took that to a nurses' meeting a few years ago and we laughed heartily.  We
are so far beyond that.  We are our own profession, complimentary, but not
subjegate to the medical profession.  Legally, we are regulated by licensure
laws which give us the responsibility of carrying out physicians' orders,
but we do so with the patient's best interest in mind, questioning
physician's orders appropriately.

Thanks for the history lesson on Florence and Mary Seacole.  I have never
heard of the latter.
Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn,
Algonquin  IL  USA