From:
"A. Montgomery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:47:42 -0800
Amen to Kathy D.'s post.

As a family physician, I am quite sure that people are "closet nursers" as
they will tell me they're still nursing when "no one else knows".  I know
many moms who still nurse once or twice a day, usually at bedtime or first
thing in the morning, but don't want anyone else to know this.  Same is
true for the family bed.  What a privilege and opportunity I have!!

I nursed my son for 4.5 years; after he was about 3 he usually was too
busy to nurse in public, but I'd do it if he needed to.  I was never "in
your face" about it, but never felt the need to apologize for it either.
I suspect most people  didn't know we were nursing, as it was out of their
frame of reference, and it was much easier to be discreet at 3+ than it
was at 18 months when he seemed to need to undress me and play with the
other side....Then again, I had a supportive (if somewhat mystified)
husband and no custody or other legal concerns.  Let's keep working on
changing this culture!

--
Anne Montgomery, M.D.
St.Peter Hospital Family Practice Residency