From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:52:55 -0400
 I'm sorry that you are getting nasty feedback.  Through out the Hx of lactating consulting there have been several worthwhile articles on the topic of unhealthy communication. Sad that journal articles have to be written on the topic!!!
Any way what you say back to them needs to be something on "how can we work on this problem together".  I'm sure , after 19 years as a hospital LC, you know plenty!!!

The latest issue of Clinical Lactation is devoted to tongue tie. Elizabeth Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA

 has written an excellent article about the IBCLC's scope of practice for tongue tie assessment.  Every IBCLC practicing needs to read this carefully.  We don't "diagnose" (unless we have another set of initials that permit diagnosing) BUT we may perform an oral assessment, inform the parents about what we observe, how this impacts the problem mother or baby is having with breastfeeding, explain that the actual diagnosis is made by the baby's primary HCP, describe treatment options, after care, and protect the milk supply.

The only hitch in all of this is the primary infant care provider :-(  ("you can just give  bottles of formula", "your nipple pain will go away as baby's mouth grows", "we can fix it later if baby has speech or dental problems" and so on).

Educating our HCP colleagues is one of our biggest jobs as an IBCLC.  But our biggest job is to help mother and baby reach their breastfeeding goals!  Pat in SNJ