From:
Ruth Piatak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:22:12 -0500
Dear Nikki,

I have only my own little study to cite.  My eldest was cared for by my late
husband during his second year, while I was in grad school and a teaching
assistant.  The boy became a National Merit Scholar and plays a darn good
game of chess -- which he started to do with his father at age 4.  He's also
a good shopper and cook -- which was his father's forte and a great boon to
our budget that year.  His father died when he was 6 years old.  More
important to me than his intelligence is the fact that our son has never
seemed to suffer the sense of unfinished business, of struggling to define
just what they had lost, that I've seen many people express who lost their
fathers at a young age.

Ruth Piatak
Plano, TX