From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:07:44 -0500
I think it is unfortunate that formula has been seen as the route to freedom
and equality for women, and breastfeeding as contributing to the oppression
of women.  I think this actually has more to do with formula marketing and
the pervasiveness of bottle feeding in our culture than with reality.

It is because bottle feeding is considered to be "just fine" that the U.S.,
for example, doesn't guarantee women reasonable maternity leaves. If these
women who feel breastfeeding would prevent them from working were able to
get six months or a year or two years of paid maternity leave, would they be
more likely to breastfeed? I think so. The fact that this leave is not
available to many women suggests that nobody considers breastfeeding
important - so why should the mother believe that it is?

If inadequate maternity leaves or provisions for mothers who are
breastfeeding and working are barriers for women, then we should be working
towards removing those barriers.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario