From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 16:49:58 -0800
Okay, I can't stand it any longer.  What an incredibly rude comeback from
Kim regarding the integrity of every single one of us who: (1) aren't RNs,
(2) rent pumps, (3) supported Karen Z. (go Karen--keep up all that great
FREE APL work--which I know so well), (4) LN subscribers in general and the
Listowners, all who volunteer their expertise in this area on a medium that
gives little credit the proper originators.  Karen Z. and the many others
who donate their time through LLLI donate thousands of dollars in time and
labor each year.  Many of these women have decades of bf experience
including IBCLCs after their names, but they don't get paid a cent.  Most
of them only can WISH that there are good, reliable pumps available in
their community to which they might refer patients.  In many areas, bf
supplies are hard to come by and rarely available on a moment's notice.  So
for all those who rent pumps and supply all the other gadgets---thank you.

The absolute gall to insist that because she is a nurse, she doesn't "need"
to push pumps is infuriating. Yes, there will always be those in any
profession who will take advantage of people, but let's not throw out the
entire profession and a wonder professional resource (Lactnet that is).
Most of the nurses I know who are also IBCLC would be astonished at this
NURSE'S conduct and how she represents nurses everywhere.
So there! (rant over)

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )