From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:24:15 -0500
 >Greetings to all.  My name is Karen Page.  I have been a Navy Nurse for 15
>years and prior to that a civilian nurse for three years.  My interest is
>primarily in Childbearing families .  I have been teaching Prepared
>Childbirth classes (noncertified) for 10 years .  Additionally, I have been
>teaching and helping women breastfeed for 10 years (non certified at this
>time).  I have 6 years combined experience in Labor & Delivery,  Postpartum,
>Nursery/NICU and Pediatrics Med/Surg.  I am striving for IBCLC.

Hi Karen. You sure do have a lot of experience...and some of it is fairly
unique, seeing as you have served in foreign countries...

>I just returned from a 6 month deployment  in Zagreb, Croatia where I served
>with the United Nations at the Navy's Fleet Hospital Five serving  UN
>peacekeepers in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia.  We  only provided care to
>United Nations employees and United Nations peacekeeper personnel; however,
> I did see pregnant women as wives to foreign soldiers and their children.
> It was very strange but special to have them visit our hospital.  Our
>facility was a large tent (like on MASH) under a airport hangar bay.  I am
>certainly glad to finally be home with my husband (who is also in the Navy)
>and my two sons, 8 and 3 years old.

I bet you missed your family when you were away. I also have a 3 yr old, and
7 and 10 yr olds too.....all girls. I am a nurse also, and have been a LLL
Leader for 7 years and an IBCLC in private practice for 2 yrs. I also work
on Vermont Lactation Consultant Assn stuff, and that is , indirectly, how
LACTNET was born.!

>I am attempting to influence my hospital to establish a Lactation Consultant
>service.

What is the impediment to establishing such a service? If it is anything
like here, it is money.
Unfortunately, our facility does not support the current WHO code...and
therefore some practices impede breastfeeding.

Nice to meet you.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA