From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:58:43 +0800
Hi All
I have a client who has a 16 month old child who is still breastfed,
who was conceived by implantation of a fertilised embyro. (Father's
sperm count too low to allow normal conception).
They are now thinking of having another embryo implanted, but doctors
say she must wean first. She has had regular periods for the last 4
months, and has no problems maintaining a pregnancy.
If she is having regular periods, it suggests to me that her hormones
are probably working from a conception point of view, and that
breastfeeding would have nothing to do with her ability to maintain a
pregnancy. She requires no medication once the embryo is implanted.
Apparently the doctors can track her cycle with blood tests and
ultrasound of her ovaries, so I can't see where breastfeeding fits in
at all, as long as her body is ready to become pregnant.
Does anyone have any comments??

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician     Perth Western Australia