From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:51:05 -0500
HI, Heather -

"But why on earth would we trust the formula industry to answer this need?"

Well, of course we don't trust the formula industry! I don't even trust the
medical profession, let alone formula manufacturers! Please, whattaya take
me for?

I guess what I meant was assuming that the formula manufacturers make claims
x,y,and z, and the scientists worldwide have a go at it, and so do the
breastfeeding watchdogs and the medical people, and everybody examines and
debates and comes up with parameters for what is & isn't safe, do-able,
beneficial, etc.

Please, I hope no one thinks I was saying that I "trust" formula companies!
My whole statement was premised on IF such claims could be made and verified
(to the degree we can verify anything, given that knowledge is constantly
expanding and changing)...No, I'm not at all convinced of the merits of DHA.
I was just trying to be briefer than I frequently am!

"But how, without resorting to the sort of interventionist economics
most of the  West has consistently rejected, could you price-fix in
this way?"

No, no - again, I was in Theoretical-Land! I was only trying to make the
point that it is often the children most "disadvantaged" in other aspects of
their start in life who don't get breastfed. It really rankles with me to
think that (just pretend, I'm not saying it's happened!)*if* there were a
magic ingredient (again, just pretend it's DHA) that could be incorporated
into artificial infant milk, the companies would use that as a reason to
hike their prices on the "better" formulas, thereby leaving the babies of
low-income families yet again falling behind. So I was thinking that should
a "better" formula become available, WIC babies had darn well better have
access to it...But *then* I realized that no, I don't at all want to offer
up the babies of the poor for formula company experimentation...well, you
can see that I can keep my little brain active all day just arguing with
myself.

I get your points, and excellent points they are, too. But please don't
think I am advocating trusting formula manufacturers! That really cuts
deeply!

Cathy B.