Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:46:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (133 lines)
 From? Camilla:

Previously exclusively breastfed baby who presented with blood in stools (following solids 

intro at 6months) & less than optimal growth(dropped in the Who curve by 2 lines).  Mother 

worked hard to maintain her ample milk supply & was under the care of a gastro enterologist

& dietician at the Childrens' Hospital.  Clinically diagnosed with soy & milk allergy thus 

those foods not given to baby or ingested by mom.

Now at 13 months baby has been having 4oz per day of Good Start mixed with EBM as mom has 

returned to work.  Other feeds when mom is home are at breast.  Mom has re introduced milk 

into her own diet without any symptoms in baby.

Growth is fine now.  No blood in stools.

Dietician is recommending to continue Good Start mix with EBM but not to intro any dairy 

in solids(eg yogurt).

This baby has been advised to start this type of formula vs other forms of dairy

(milk, yogourt) by her dietician, as a means of desensitizing to an adverse reaction. 

Is there any credible clinical evidence that partially hydrolyzed formulas like Carnation 

Good Start carry less risk for a partially breastfeeding milk alllergic 13 month old baby? 

Jean responds:

Note:  i do not promote formula...just answering the question!  Good Start is made 

with the whey component of cow's milk proteins.  And the company claims the whey is 

somewhat "broken down".  Therefore it may well be tolerated by some infants that have

problems with exposure to the other protein in cow's milk which is casein.

BUT, many infants who were sensitive can by age 13 months do well themselves and with

their mom's drinking regular cow's milk.  Gut sensitivites to dairy and soy are commonly 

outgrow, unlike other true allergies.

Jean Westerlund-Rice, MPH, RD, IBCLC

Nutritionist; Lactation Consultant.

I have so many concerns about this discussion. I would like to know where the evidence is that 
this baby would be better served by being fed artificial food, hydrolyzed or otherwise. Breaking 
down the whey protein may make it "more digestible", but so what? That just means that for babies 
who have no choice about what they are fed, they may experience less pain and discomfort. There is
certainly no benefit to the baby. I would strongly discourage this mom from feeding her baby any 
AIM of any kind. If she has been able to maintain her "ample" supply, why on earth is the baby being 
fed anything else? I would like to see the evidence from th dietician, evidence that does  not come in
the form of pharmaceutical company literature. 

As to Jean's response, I understand that you are in no way advocating the use of AIM, but again I 
wonder where the evidence is that suggests that "gut sensitivities to dairy and soy are commonly 
outgrown". What actually happens, in my observation, is that the inflammatory response becomes one that 
medical people and parents are less troubled by or less likely to associate with the allergen. Kids 
often develop behavioral problems, sleep problems, bed-wetting, ear infections, "seasonal" allergies,
skin rashes, constipation, sinus infections, additional allergies and asthma. These are the kids who 
become "picky eaters", craving their addictions and refusing all other foods. 

I have immense concerns that this mom never addressed her own gut health--babies with food intolerances
typically have moms with inflammation themselves. The gut rarely heals simply b/c foods have been 
eliminated--both mom and baby have to address healing. If this were my client, I would suggest she
avoid all animal milks and soy in any form and see someone with expertise in gut health (depending
on where she lives--a naturopath, nutritionist or other holistic provider). 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2