From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:17:30 -0400
dear all,

the discussions concerning the possible links between asthma and lack of bf
remind me of a study i recall reading a while back (boy i wish i had kept an
actual copy of the info for the references). the basic idea was to track
respiratory allergies in children up to about eight years of age and see if
there was a correlation between receiving abm and developing these allergies.
this seemed to be generally the case, but a few individuals had them stumped;
the mothers swore on the stacks of bibles that the child had never had a
single drop of abm. further investigation revealed that these children had,
indeed, received as little as one bottle, usually in the hospital or from the
well-meaning grandparent!

i found this very interesting, because due to a c-section, my first son and i
were in the hospital for several days. due to my ignorance at the time, he
spent time in the nursery. he had difficulty latching on at first and despite
the fact that i had stipulated no abm, he was out of my sight many times. i
became much more enlightened, at least in this department, because when i had
my second son, i was the subject of great humor in the ward because i would
never let him out of my sight without sending along my husband or my mother.
it worked well, as they eventually gave up even trying to take him to the
nursery and merely checked him in our room. when i finally became wise enough
to figure out what was causing all those pesky c-sections, i had my daughter
at home and didn't have to employ armed guards.

only my first son has seasonal allergies, and all three are now old enough to
show symptoms if they are affected.

anybody remember this study, or did i hallucinate it?

carol brussel