Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:54:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
In a message dated 10/27/2003 4:20:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> We finally had mom cut back from 8 pumps daily because by the
> time baby had nursed, then nursed with supplementer it was easily an hour,
> then she had to pump, then it was time to start again and
> she was just
> going nuts.  (this has been going on for weeks)

I guess I'm of the school that would rather limit an ineffective BF baby's time at breast and focus more on milk production/removal until baby shows increasing readiness/ability to remove milk. I just haven't read of any evidence to indicate that an hour at breast, with or without supplementer, supports improved suckling any sooner than limited "practice" time at breast (and waiting for CNS maturation or "fixing" of other type problems). Limiting ineffective BF allows more time for alternative milk removal and Kangarooing. Of course, it's up to the mother to decide which course may "fit" best for her, but I find most choose this plus a bottle-feeding technique more reinforcing of eventual full BF. More moms seem able to deal with longer transition if milk production is OK.

If this has been going on for weeks and if baby is not extremely preterm still, sounds as if there's an underlying infant feeding issue of which ineffective BF is only a symptom.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I haven't seen production as a big issue for the MOM in our LLL multiples group, which has included women having the gamut of infertility issues, including age. Perhaps we don't ever hear from or see the MOM who have big production issues. OTOH, when in LC practice, we usually only hear from or see those with problems...

Good luck with this case.

Karen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2