From:
kylesmom9999 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:00:59 -0800
It's in the Letters to the Editor, 10-27-03, and is titled "Fathers and
Infants".

The letter praises the article from 10-21-03 concerning Norway's great
progress in breastfeeding.

Then it goes on to state: "You do not mention the fact that fathers can
and do play a role in feeding the baby. Breast pumps, bottles warmers
and plastic bottles allow a father to feed his child several times a
day, allowing the mother to work, run errands, exercise or even go out
for the evening.
Formula and bottles used to be symbols of liberation for working
mothers. While I much prefer Norway's generous maternity leave and
public-nursing laws, both Norwegian and liberationist (he means
feminists) views frame the problem as something moms have to deal with.
Dads can help solve the problem, too.

Josh Ashenmiller, Claremont, California, 10-21-03"

Perhaps we should have a couple of people break this up and attack Mr.
Ashenmiller's reasoning. It is glaringly apparent to me that he says
nothing about those other baby-care duties, like changing the baby,
bathing and dressing the baby, playing with the baby, or burping the
baby and putting it to sleep. Would someone care to educate Mr.
Ashenmiller (and others) about saiety cues and how babies are much more
efficient at emptying the breast than even the most expensive breast
pumps? Nipple confusion? What about the babies (like mine) who refuse
bottles and must be cup-fed? (anyone who responds has my permission in
advance to use my then 9 week-old, now 9 year old son, as their
example.)

And should those who rise to the challenge of a response also attach
initials like IBCLC to their letters?

I am certain that Mr. Ashenmiller is a nice person. But right now, his
ignorance and bad reasoning are really making me angry.

Thanks to all for allowing me to vent and for the time you're willing to
spend responding to this (preferably, to the folks at the NY Times
first, who are actually very pro-breastfeeding),

Lynn Stuckey