From:
Margaret Sierdsma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:43:04 -0700
Hi, I hope this is OK to post here, it is for myself but it is a
complicated issue.

I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and I was diagnosed with heart failure
related to it one week after the birth of my third baby mid-April.  Treated
with IV Lasix in hospital for three days, 20mg Lasix by mouth once per day
until symptoms resolved, then discontinued.  Mid-September symptoms
returned/worsened.  Now on very low sodium diet (<1000mg day), 20mg Lasix
daily, 2L fluid restriction, but still symptomatic and looking
at transplant in next 12 months.

Through this all I've been tandem nursing my boys, now 6 months and 28
months.  Six month old's weight started out 7lbs 5oz, is now at 14 lbs
1oz.  Head circumference has remained steadily at 50th percentile, length
started at 19 inches and is now 27 inches.  Baby has been on time or early
for milestones, happy, alert, normal diaper output.  Baby has been mobile
and active, scooting on his belly army crawl style for about 5 weeks.

Pediatrician is concerned at slowing growth and wants me to supplement or
push solids and return for a weight check in one month.  Baby is a little
interested in solids but hasn't lost tongue thrust reflex or developed
pincer grasp yet.

My gut tells me that he is doing fine, I'm petite and my previous two
children have also been on the smaller end of the spectrum, and his early
mobility may explain the leveling off of his growth curve.

But I don't want to overlook the possible impact of the Lasix or the heart
failure itself on my supply.

Thoughts?