From:
Alison Ziskind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 04:36:04 -0400
I took the CLC course through UCSD, taught by Gini Baker. Subsequently, I went on to teach a basic breastfeeding course and to counsel many of my clients about nursing their babies, both as a childbirth educator and a doula.  However, if something even hints of deviation from the norm (and honestly, even when things look normal), you will find me on the phone with my favorite IBCLC, checking my facts and presenting the case.  I feel that there is too much at stake NOT to do so.

When I explain what I do, I say that I am an educator, someone who can teach the basics and has lots of information to give mothers.  Beyond that, I get very nervous about doing much more, particularly hands on, and keep the names of IBCLC's in my blackberry at all times. And when I speak with parents prenatally and in class, I make every single one write down the letters IBCLC and explain the importance of the IBCLC as an important member of their babies health care team.

For all of the reading I've done and passion I bring to the table as a lactation educator, there is just no getting around the fact that the IBCLC credential is the gold standard in lactation.  As a lactation community, I believe we need to be unequivocal about this.  It doesn't diminish the role of the CLC.  It simply serves to protect the extraordinary value of said credential.

One other point: I have noticed that in female dominated fields, when women begin to get quite passionate, and even loud, about their differences, there is always someone piping up and instructing everyone to "get along", stop fighting, be respectful, etc.  I've seen this occur on Lactnet before, even when the participants are making sound and intelligent points from very different viewpoints (and who are holding their own quite well).  It's as if conflict is deeply discomforting to some people, and they would rather everything be presented in as "nice" a way as possible.  I do not think that disagreement equals a lack of professionalism, even when it is quite impassioned.  When I witness lactation  debates, I love watching the fiery intelligence of those minds at work.  And it is always a little frustrating (and predictable) when voices chime in to be "nice". (This is not limited to lactation, as I've seen this phenomena at work amongst doulas and childbirth educators as well.)

So let me be a vote in favor of passionate debate, even when it sometimes makes people uncomfortable.  I often see lawyers, physicians, etc become quite passionate about their points of view, with quite rancorous debate ensuing.  But you never see male lawyers, physicians, even nurses, tell one another to be "nice".  While I understand that women communicate in uniquely female ways, I also believe that some of this is a social, and not necessarily biological, construct.  I just hate seeing some darned good exchanges get squelched.

I welcome hearing the thoughts of this community on the subject, as long as the list mothers don't feel it's too far off base.  I am unbelievably proud to be associated with the women and men of Lactnet.

Alison Ziskind
Doula