From:
Jake Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:17:02 -0400
Lisa Thomas asked: "I have permission to post a question from a mother who
will be traveling this weekend on a Delta Airlines flight in the US.  She
will be away from her baby and plans to pump while on the business trip,
bringing back approx. 48 ounces of EBM in a carry-on for the return trip
home to her baby.  Could someone please let us know if this will be
allowable in a carry-on and what is the best
way to transport the milk??  I have looked on the Delta website and it seems
that this may not be approved.  Is there anyone who can give us definitive,
current regulations for this and what she might expect to happen?  Thank you
to anyone who might be able to help!"

How surprising she couldn't get the answer from Delta since they are so
breastfeeding friendly. ;)

The rules that govern the carry-on of breastmilk are actually those of the
Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) which have very recently been
changed with regard to carry-on EBM.  The current policy is at
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm . As of August 4th, EBM may be
carried on in any quantity, as long as it is declared prior to inspection.
EBM is now classified as a liquid medication, the regulations for which are
here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#4 .
The milk is subject to visual screening (which indicates to me it should be
carried in something transparent or translucent), possibly X-ray, and
whatever additional screening they come up with (but will not announce)
except that moms will not be required to drink the milk.  I have been
strongly recommending that moms traveling with EBM print both pages at the
above links and carry them through security.  The TSA web site page on
Traveling with Children still states the old policy of requiring that only
as much EBM as can be fit in individual 3 oz. containers all fitting into
one 12 oz. Ziploc bag will be allowed despite that policy having been
revoked. I have filed a complaint about the failure to change the web site
but have heard nothing.

Given the frequency of milk dumping by TSA employees under the old policy, I
think it is realistic to expect a fair bit of confusion with the new one.
On the bright side, I did get an e-mail last week about a mom getting
through with gel packs to keep her milk cold - gel packs are otherwise not
allowed through security.  So while the new policy clearly states she may
carry an unlimited amount of milk, it does not change existing policy for
ice and gel packs needed to keep the milk cold.  Gel packs can legally be
confiscated and ice will always be.  She can try to get ice from a vendor
once she is cleared through security.

Hope that helps.  I am continuing to collect TSA breastmilk stories so you
can give her my e-mail if she has a bad experience.

Yours,
Jake Marcus, J.D.