From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:48:25 +1100
Hi Susan,

I was completely muddled and read "nipple shields" when you wrote "breast
shields" I hadn't heard of that pump part being called a shield before, they
are usually called flanges here, so it was a language issue also.  I was
picturing you putting nipple shields under the pump flanges!!!

Now I understand I think it's even more interesting and worthwhile. I've
often wished that there was more research on different types of pumps. I
think it would be especially interesting to look at very different sorts of
pumps (eg PIS vs Whittlestone) and measure milk output in addition to
actually looking at the breasts. Because of my interest in
relactation/induced lactation I would really really like it if someone
measured prolactin levels when using different pump since prolactin is so
important in these cases and since it is entirely possible that a pump that
is good for a particular mum at extracting milk may not be as good as
raising prolactin levels.....we really don't know what is good for
maximising prolactin levels when it comes to pumping.

I'm being driven a little mad by some things that some experienced adoptive
mums are saying about relactation/induced lactation and it's the lack of
research that is the cause...too many holes that are getting filled by myths
incl women should eat lots of oatmeal to increase their prolactin levels,
fenugreek will do the same though and don'tcha know the PIS is the best pump
for increasing prolactin levels and my all time (not) favourite "if you
don't want to take hormones and just put the baby to the breast you *might*
make some milk" Argh!!!!!!! (OK that last one is proven to not be the  case
by the research but it keeps popping up). The pseudo science mixing with
myth gets to me!

Karleen Gribble
Australia