From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:23:24 +1100
I've just finished writing an article on infant feeding in emergency
situations and have read the research in this area (surprising how much
there is, there is quite a bit). One of the things that has been found in
past emergencies is that donated infant formula is a huge problem. It just
arrives without anyone asking for it, controlling who gets it is difficult
(ie controlling flow), labels are not in the local language and cannot be
understood and it is difficult and expensive to dispose of. It hinders not
helps. I'd also think that pumps would not be helpful. Usually babies all
women need is a baby that will suck. However, I'd suggest that perhaps it
would be time well spent for LCs knowldegable with the issues to be involved
in education of aid workers on all aspects of breastfeeding.....lack of
knowledge is the biggest danger to babies.

Karleen Gribble
Australia