From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 18:53:32 -0400
Hi, 'netters:  I'd appreciate any help with the following:  newborn b.wt
9lb10oz, breastfed well, early and often (reportely with no bottles or
pacifiers) until 3rd day, when problems began.  The pregnancy unevenful,
labor resulted in C/S for failure to progress after 3 hours of pushing
and an attempt at vacuum extraction.  Mom's milk "came in" 4th day, went
home that day.  Baby latches on, sucks a couple of times, then pulls
away, bobbing and crying, eventually latches well after 5 to 10 minutes.
Refuses left breast most of the time.  Mom has great milk supply, baby
wets and poops beautifully.  No significant weight lossin first week.
Visiting nurse had little to add, and baby examined by MD at 6 days,
normal.  I visited on day 7, checked the latching, which initially was
not wide enough mouth, but even after correction baby pulling away
frequently.  Once latched, nursed well.  Suck assessment good, no
tongue-tie.  No evidence of overactive MER.  Different positions made no
difference.  Got a good local LC to visit on day 8, she diagnosed stiff
neck in baby due to traumatic labor.  Although baby now taking both
breasts, mother is very discouraged by the struggles, stating "maybe my
nipple is not suited to him" and plans to pump and give bottles if no
better within a week(mom has resisted giving bottles so far).  Mother's
breasts appear rather firm and nipple looks same when it comes out of
baby's mouth, so possibly inelastic? Any and all suggestions welcome.
Thanks, Alicia.  [log in to unmask]  P.S.  I also suggested that she look
for feeding cues and pick up baby before he cries.  Baby nurses about
every hour during day and q2-3 during night, but that's because mother
picks him up during night if he's gone more than 3 hours.