From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:52:14 -0500
One other consideration to factor in, is that (from what I have seen)
many in the lower socioeconomic groups accept much that happens in their
lives as inevitable or that they are powerless to change them. So many
situations occur that they indeed have absolutely no control over, that
it can and does become a persuasive attitude in their whole life.

Those better off socioeconomically tend to feel that they do have
control and power and are more apt to want to or be willing to do things
to change situations that they don't like or make them uncomfortable.

Keeping the above in mind, helps me not to come off too unsympathically
to those who feel that their lives are out of their control or too short
with those who want an instant fix to a situation.

It is just another aspect that keeps me realizing that breastfeeding is
so much more than just getting the baby to the breast and stating the
benefits of breastmilk. The job would be a breeze if that was all there
was to do!

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY - trying real hard to get into bed before 2AM tonight.