From:
Coudray Françoise ADJ+ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:20:08 +0200
Hello,
Sure you are aware of different hyperbilirubinemias...
physiologic one, in the first 48hours,
then non-breastmilk jaundice, or "bad management of breastfeeding", the best
known, the worse diagnosed (many moms have had to wean because their milk
was not good, because the baby was jauniced with breastmilk, and in fact it
was a non-breastmilk jaundice with few hindmilk, few breastmilk, so the bili
could not be ejected with stools. (let me shout, cry how many women weant
without having called me or another IBCLC for counseling..... grrrr)
And there is the breastmilk jaundice, other name is late-onset jaundice or
breast milk jaundice syndrome;

So 3 jaundices...

I have information, from the excellent drs Lawrence & Lawrence
"breastfeeding, a guide for the medical profession" (6th edition p. 538)

"The late-onset breastmilk is attributed by Arias and associatiates to a
substance in the milk of some mothers that inhibits the hapetic enzyme
glucoronyl transferase, preventing the conjugaisonof bili; identified as 5
beta-pregnage-3-alpha, 20 alpha-diol ....  etc"..

If you have a colleague not too far, maybe you can use her book....
But in fact, what should be done, is: ruling out which kind of jaundice your
mom suffer???? the one linked to the breast-milk (3rd one if I may give
numbers....) or the one linked to lack of breastmilk (maybe lack of good
transfer thus you helped a lot????)

Breast regards,
Tell me if you need that I type the extract from the book for you;
There was also conference about hyperbilirubinemia in Gold 09 (thru health e
learning);

Françoise Coudray