From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:51:13 -0400
i'm a little confused by this post, Cindy, because it seems the baby was
gaining fine, observed to nurse well, and the only symptom was being fussy
one night?  Was the baby indeed gaining weight?  As someone with a lot of
experience with working moms, I know that a lot of moms have a terribly
hard time getting a let-down for a pump, or getting let-down at all when
they are under stress.  I realize your concern when you saw the baby having
a session where he did not transfer much, but I have a hard time seeing
feeding the pumped milk as the best solution.  It seems to add a lot of
unnecessary stress to the mom's situation - maybe further inhibiting
letdown?  (at this point I must add that I am not, nor have I ever been, a
clinical LC - so take my input with adequate shakers of salt).  But would
it be possible for her to feed directly at the breast first for as long as
the baby will stay (since the baby seems willing to work at it for an
extended time) and then follow feedings with small amounts of SNS
supplementation if he still seems hungry?  This will do more for her supply
than pumping, and will help her confidence more as well, I believe, while
physiological causes of the apparent lack of let-down are explored.

I apologize if someone beat me to the answer - I have digest emails only,
so often am behind on my replies.

Best wishes to this mom - and please provide more info if baby was indeed
not gaining well, or I misinterpreted your info.

Kirsten Berggren, PhD, technical writer, aspiring LC
cl-kirsteb at http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppworkpump