From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:07:46 -0500
Hi Everyone,
  I would love to meet an MD who does not mind to be challenged on med
procedures! In the years that I have been a mother, I have had only two
MDs who did not label me neurotic or anxious when dealing with unusal or
'different' situations with my children. One was a GP who finally asked
the right question with my second SWG baby -"How much did your husband
weigh and how much did you weigh at 1 year?" (finding our that a 15 lb &
18 lb set of parents had produced a 19 lb baby) Which eased my mind and
theirs. The second was a Ped who actually listened to WHY I had brought
my son in and sat down with the records and reviewed his well baby
checks and came to find out that he had been mis-charted and actually
was not SWG! To find MDs like this is rare and a pleasure.
  I wrote this post however to comment on your post about interventions
to breastfeeding and human milk that are usually supported by 'formula'
company literature. I read in @ 1990 that 90% of the literature about
breastfeeding read by HCPs and handed out by HCPs on breastfeeding is
done by 'formula' companies. This is absurd, one would not go to Sears
to have JC Penneys ads done, why does the medical profession not see the
absurdity of the situation?
  I also know the personal strength it takes to challenge a HCP to prove
their postion. Most new parents (especially first timers) do not have
the education and preparation to do this, they go along with whatever
the HCP says, especially if they feel the health and well being of their
child is at stake.
  To me the solution seems so simple, yet I know that it is a great
undertaking to change the long held perceptions and beliefs that are
entrenched in our medical profession and society. But as long as there
are people like us and MDs like Dr Jack and Dr sears et.al - there is a
chance!

Have a wonderful day and know that the information you all pass on is
interesting and useful to us all.
Leslie