From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:35:39 -0400
Rachel wrote:
"Since the marine fat omega-3 supplement I take is also my main
dietary source of Vitamin D, I connected the two in this post as well.
 Sorry if I confused anyone."

Ahhh, I see that what I wrote was confusing.    Doubly confusing
because I regularly get lactnet posts that are obviously responses to
others questions, yet I don't get the original post.

I encourate moms to test vitamin d levels and take enough vitamin d to
bring levels up to the middle of the reference range - above 55ng/mL
or above 125 nmoL.  Some other interesting D studies were published
recently.  One showing that 4,000 IU vitamin D daily during pregnancy
was associated with better outcomes than 2,000 IU per day which was
better than 400 IU per day.  And a very concerning one out of England
showing ultrasound evidence of rickets in 1/3 of the fetuses in the
study.

Here is one reference regarding maternal vitamin d intake and
breastmilk D levels. There are a couple of other similar studies as
well but this is what I could find easily.

Katherine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661565

"Breastfeed Med. 2006 Summer;1(2):59-70.

High-dose vitamin D3 supplementation in a cohort of breastfeeding
mothers and their infants: a 6-month follow-up pilot study.

Wagner CL, Hulsey TC, Fanning D, Ebeling M, Hollis BW.

Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina,
Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA. [log in to unmask]

Comment in:

Breastfeed Med. 2006 Summer;1(2):57-8.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of high-dose maternal vitamin D(3)
(vitD) supplementation on the nutritional vitD status of breastfeeding
(BF) women and their infants compared with maternal and infant
controls receiving 400 and 300 IU vitD/day, respectively. DESIGN:
Fully lactating women (n = 19) were enrolled at 1-month postpartum
into a randomized- control pilot trial. Each mother received one of
two treatments for a 6-month study period: 0 or 6000 IU vitD(3) plus a
prenatal vitamin containing 400 IU vitD(3). The infants of mothers
assigned to the control group received 300 IU vitD(3)/day; those
infants of mothers in the high-dose group received 0 IU (placebo).
Maternal serum and milk vitD and 25(OH)D were measured at baseline
then monthly; infant serum vitD and 25(OH)D were measured at baseline,
and months 4 and 7. Urinary calcium/creatinine ratios were measured
monthly in both mothers and infants. Dietary and BF history and
outdoor activity questionnaires were completed at each visit. Changes
in skin pigmentation were measured by spectrophotometry. Data were
analyzed using chi-square, t-test, and analysis of variance (ANOVA) on
an intent-to-treat basis. RESULTS: High-dose (6400 IU/day) vitD(3)
safely and significantly increased maternal circulating 25(OH)D and
vitD from baseline compared to controls (p < 0.0028 and 0.0043,
respectively). Mean milk antirachitic activity of mothers receiving
400 IU vitD/day decreased to a nadir of 45.6 at visit four and varied
little during the study period (45.6-78.6 IU/L), whereas the mean
activity in the 6400 IU/day group increased from 82 to 873 IU/L (p <
0.0003). There were no differences in circulating 25(OH)D levels of
infants supplemented with oral vitD versus infants whose only source
of vitD was breast milk. CONCLUSION: With limited sun exposure, an
intake of 400 IU/day vitamin D(3) did not sustain circulating maternal
25(OH)D levels, and thus, supplied only extremely limited amounts of
vitamin D to the nursing infant via breast milk. Infant levels
achieved exclusively through maternal supplementation were equivalent
to levels in infants who received oral vitamin D supplementation.
Thus, a maternal intake of 6400 IU/day vitamin D elevated circulating
25(OH)D in both mother and nursing infant."