From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 12:10:20 -0500
I have been working with a family for about a month, started out with huge engorgement, milk stasis and on and on.  We got that sorted out but mom's nipples got sorer and sorer.  I then took a good look at the infant's tongue, not a complete tie but restricted lateral and forward movement.  The family took charge of this, got it assessed, got a referral, found a doctor 25 miles away to assess.  He was reluctant to clip because it wasn't a full fledged tie, but did.  But now that baby can stick his tongue out, he has to relearn sucking.  So I had them get a nipple shield, loaned them Cathy's book on sucking for tongue practice and had the pleasure of watching mom's face light up when she put baby on with the shield and it didn't hurt.  Baby was just happy to be getting milk.
So without all the references and workshops, I would probably still be trying to get a comfortable latch with a sore, sad mom.
So thank you everyone here for all the teaching, reinforcement and reference materials.

Pat

Pat Thomas RN IBCLC
1335 Lakeview Avenue
Winona, MN 55987