From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:39:22 -0700
Hi all,
Here's something I have to ask everyone's opinion on, have you ever heard of this before - my manager met with the similac rep, and she offered to give us "free" online learning modules so that we could become Baby Friendly. I was floored! I think I had a hard time disguising the look of horror on my face when my boss brought it up to me. The rep assured her that lots of hospitals use it to teach their RN's about breastfeeding and become Baby Friendly. Really? I doubt that.

I think she met with my boss instead of me because earlier in the week she emailed me and asked me if I would like any of her materials about breastfeeding. LOL. I looked at one of them and of course it was awful, so I sent her a long email detailing all of the problems in her handouts. Funny, but I never heard back from her again... I started the email with, "Look, I'm sure your a nice person, but...."

So I guess she decided to meet with my boss instead of me, and offered her "free" online education for the nurses. I'm trying to get management to understand the concept that you get what you pay for, and we don't want to let businesses market to our patients, but it's hard for management to grasp this concept, especially in this economy.

I think we shouldn't let any companies market to our OB patients, not just formula companies. Anyone have good ideas for talking to management about this. We just banned the bags last year, and I've gotten rid everything with formula logos on it. As we are going through staff training I'm going to explain to them why we can't take free things from formula reps anymore. But what about freebies from diaper companies, or baby shampoo, what does everyone think about that? I've taken everything out of the patient education folders that has a company logo on it. But I'm debating about diaper and baby shampoo samples in the gift bags, I'd love to hear what other hospitals do.