From:
Jackie Cesnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:39:32 +1000
I have a query about the effects of endometriosis (? spelling). Does anyone
know if breastfeeding protects mothers from the symptoms. We have a mother
who has Post Natal Depression, has had attachment problems and a post
partum infection (no details) and has just mentioned her problems with
endometriosis.

Thank you to everyone who replied about Duskier Reflux.  I have passed on
the information.

I will also  belatedly join in the low milk supply of some mothers:
Personally I had problems falling pregnant and had 2 miscarraiges to cut a
long story short I was always battling to keep my milk supply going. I
managed to feed my first baby until she was 14 months, but only by giving
her solids at 4 months and my second was put onto formula when she was 6
months as I didn't want to introduce solids (a whole story here not
applicable for this forum!). I have what I think is normal breast tissue
and had all the right breast changes including some engorgement in the
early days.Normal nipples and areola

Last year I saw a mother who had just had her 2nd baby. She has a history
of IVF and had conceived both on this program. She never acheived full
lactation for the first baby despite having help from everyone and being
HIGHLY motivated. Her second was the same she never could provide enough
milk for this baby and had to give formula comps from week 4. She has large
soft breasts which never seemed to fill. Her areola was large (4cms
diameter) and her nipples rather flat

Last week I saw a mother who I had seen with her first baby 2 years ago.
She had problems with supply the first time and was expressing and
supplementing with formula when I got to her at week 6. she gave birth to
her second baby on monday and called me on wednesday as she doesn't want to
have the same problems. She is feeding 2-3 hourly the baby is attached well
and seems to have a good suck, however the baby lost about 10% body weight
the first 3 days and in the subsequent 4 days has only gained 40g. I have
now suggested she start expressing after each feed int he day and that she
should take Maxalon. She has slightly tubular breasts which never seem to
fill. Her areola is small (2 ccms diameter) and her nipples are large like
door stops (excuse the expression!) they are not too big for the baby
though.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!
TIA
Jackie Cesnik IBCLC. NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor.
De Novo Lactation Consultants
http:/www.monash.edu.au/informatics/lchome.htm------------------------------
------