From:
Andrea Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:42:11 -0400
> On June 27, Linda Moore wrote:

> I am currently working with a client who has sore nipples.  Her infant is
> currently hospitalized, as the infant was born prematurely.  The mom's nipple
> area and areola were very red, burning sensation,....typical yeast symptoms.
> Infant has not been symptomatic, and neonatologist declined to treat infant.
> Mom is taking Diflucan, and had been treating with a topical antifungal
> product.  Diflucan seems to make the pain improve (no more shooting pains with
> pumping).  She quit using the topical antifungal
> product, with noted improvement in the areolar and nipple area (less redness).
> She is now wondering if she could potentially have had an allergic reaction to
> the antifungal cream?  Has any one had a client that was allergic to the
> material the pump flanges are made of?  I have recommended that she be seen by a
> dermatologist.  Her breast don't quite fit the standard pump kit.  She plans to
> try the "Comfort kit" on one side to
> see if this improves the situation.  Next would be to try the glass flange for
> pumping.  This type of situation has happened with one other client within the
> last 6 months.

Linda,

I would suspect that the allergic reaction is to the antifungal cream rather than
to pump flanges.

See

Herbers, K. and M. Ariano. Breastfeeding complicated by candida and secondary
contact dermatitis: a case review. Current Issues in Clinical Lactation, 2000,
5-12.

Sincerely,
Andrea

--
Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
Granville, Ohio ~ mailto:[log in to unmask]