From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:35:21 +1100
Kate,
I have been told (but have actually read anything that explains the
underlying physiology- has anyone else?) that adoptive mothers do not
produce colostrum because they do not produce human placental lactogen (ie
no placenta to produce it). What little research has been done on the
composition of milk from women not recently pregnant is that it is like
'mature' milk. I am somewhat dubious of the idea of 'going back to
colostrum' with adoptive mothers but I do wonder how (or if) their milk
changes over a lactation. In my own case I certainly did not get anything
that looked like colostrum (but then would youu expect to with a 3yo!) but
there was a difference in appearance as compared to my previous lactation
with my bio child in that the milk was much creamier- I guess there could be
many reasons for this from it being associated with the use of Domperidone,
my breasts were getting more emptied, differences because it was relactation
rather than after pregnancy.
Karleen Gribble
Australia