Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:46:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
We had a mom who was very upset because one of the Neonatology Nurse Practictioners told her the baby looked dehydrated and ordered her to start supplementing.  I went into assess a feeding, noted the baby was around 18 hours old, has voided and had a bowel movement already, skin turgor was normal, fontennel was not sunken in, mucous membranes were moist.  Of course mom was so worried.  I reassured her the baby looked good, the Nurse Practitioner was probably a little worried that the nurses didn't think he was nursing very good yet and wants to be cautious as he was just a little over 6 pounds.  I observed a feeding and the baby was GREAT!  Mom did not want to supplement.  I called the Nurse Practitioner to tell her this feeding was great.  The only reason Neo was looking after this baby is because the baby's Pediatrician does not come to our hospital.  I don't know why on earth there was a concern with this baby.  I guess maybe because the lower lip had a little peeling skin on it made the Practitioner think this was dehydration?  Next time I will follow up with her as to her reasoning for thinking a baby is dehyrated in less than 24 hours. (It was a busy day and we were all running every direction) There were no placental or amniotic fluid problems, all labs were ok on mom and baby.  The baby is now home, nursing great, mom complained on her patient evaluation "too much conflicting advice regarding breastfeeding".    

Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC
S. Florida Hospital Based

Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC
South Florida Hospital Based

ATOM RSS1 RSS2