From:
Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 23:50:28 -0600
The reason for my recent engorgement questions is that our local
breastfeeding group is working on selecting, writing, and/or revising
materials that we can send to doctors to copy and give to their
patients.  We would like to keep them at about 6th grade level and
provide some illustrations (probably line drawings) as appropriate.  The
questions that I asked are a result of this project.

Thanks to those who have answered.  I thought I should clarify as some
of the answers are more detailed that what we would put in the handout.
We plan to make the handouts fairly basic and to include phone numbers
and an internet site where they can get additional information.

Topics we are starting with include preparing to breastfeed,
breastfeeding a newborn, breastfeeding an older baby, nutition and
fluids for the nursing mother, medications and breastfeeding,
breastfeeding if mom is sick, preventing and treating breastfeeding
problems (that's where engorgement comes in), growth patterns of the
breastfed infant, how breastfeeding benefits mothers, breastfeeding and
returning to work, the father's role in the breastfeeding family, and
siblings of the breastfed baby.  We also plan to prepare a list of web
sites on breastfeeding.

If anyone has materials meeting these criteria that are uncopyrighted or
which we could use with permission and attribution, please let me know.
Please specify whether additional permission is needed and from whom and
whether the materials may be modified.

Please respond privately as well as to the list.  TIA.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC   from the sunny S.W. USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]