From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:20:02 -0400
On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 12:09 PM, Merilee Reeder wrote:

>  First, I am
> assuming that the pregnancy supplements routinely given to mothers do
> not
> contain DHA and am wondering, in the face of the current research, why
> not?

I would suspect several reasons.....cost - the pn vits routinely
prescribed to pg women are generally synthetic vitamins not of the
highest quality.   Lack of knowledge - there's very very little knowlege
in the medical world of the issues surrounding fats, and especially
little knowlege when it comes to omega 3's specifically.

I work closely with a homebirth midwife here in atlanta and have lots of
contact with preganant women.  Practically my first nutritional
recommendation to them is flax or fish oil and additional DHA.  Even
after that it's tricky b/c one has to be sure that the flax has been
handled in a certain way so that it's not rancid....and it can't just be
any brand of fish oil,  again freshness is an issue.

Also, at the amounts I generally encourage, we're talking about
something that definitely couldn't be added to a prenatal vitamin, it'd
have to be additional supplementation.

:)
katherin ein atl