From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:53:03 -0400
Hello everyone,
  I received this request from David Newburg who does basic research
on breast milk
at Mass. General Hospital here in Boston. If you know anyone who
might be able to
help him out, please contact David directly at the addresses below.

The milk can be frozen and shipped, so it doesn't have to come from
someone who lives
locally.

Thanks,

Naomi Bar-Yam

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Newburg <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: October 20, 2006 3:15:58 PM EDT
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: a favor?
>
> Hi Naomi
> There is a condition that can arise during breastfeeding, usually
> early on,
> in which the baby develops bloody stools. It is sometimes referred
> to as
> breastfeeding colitis, or allergic colitis. Common treatments include
> ignoring it, having the mother modify her diet, or having the
> mother stop
> breastfeeding for a few weeks, but to pump during this period so as
> to be
> able to continue breastfeeding after the condition resolves. If
> anyone knows
> of somebody who is experiencing such a condition, and if this
> person has a
> little extra milk from around the period when the baby is having
> active
> symptoms, we would welcome having some surplus milk to study any
> differences
> in its properties from that of other mother’s milk.
>

> Best regards.
>
> David S. Newburg, Ph.D.
> Director, Program in Glycobiology
> Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition