Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:02:35 EDT
Anne,
From a presentation I heard yesterday, given by a breastfeeding-friendly
breast surgeon (Same one Pat Young went to), I understood this:
A lactating mother certainly can have a mammogram.  She should take the baby
to the appointment and, right before the film is done, nurse to empty the
breast as far as possible, then nurse the other side right before that film
is done.  This would involve some advance planning---bringing someone along
to take the baby out of the x-ray room during the procedure itself, for
instance, and assuring a cooperative attitude on the part of the x-ray tech
about scheduling a time suited to the baby's usual nursing pattern.  They
might have to sandwich someone else's appointment in between doing the two
breasts.
Chris