From:
Rachel Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:27:45 -0500
I am looking for info, on the request of the Neonatologist, to lead me to
any evidenced-based recommendations related to breastfeeding with
persistent tachypnea. He is looking for specific quidelines with numbers of
RR/min, etc.
He is OK with borderline rates like 60's with nursing. But, this baby is
doing 80-100/min. This is not TTN (transient tachypnea of the newborn.
Infant is term 3 day old, being treated for sepsis, without signs of
pneumonia or other respiratory distress at present... just the  persistent
tachypnea and severe chorioamnionitis of the placenta. Yesterday with the
colostrum the Neo's had less concern, but baby wasn't interested yet ...
today with mom's abundant milk supply they are more concerned.

Grandma is very persistent and wants this baby to breast and not doing
gavage feeding. The baby's mother is young, but experienced and willing to
wait till the Dr's concerns are less. The Neo is very supportive of
breastfeeding, but is of course concerned about perceived risks of
aspiration. And is looking for evidence to help support him before he gives
the ok to breastfeed with respiratory rates this high. (He in no way wants
this baby to bottle feed.)

I have searched the archives and only came up with one entry and it was TNN
related. I am also doing a lit search, but not coming up with much yet. I'm
not too savvy about this research stuff, but trying diligently. I would
greatly appreciate being headed in the right direction.
Does anyone have a reference at their finger tips?
Or have a Policy at their NICU that might help me further?

Thank-you in advance,
Rachel A. Miller RN, BSN, IBCLC