From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 20:18:33 PDT
>To: [log in to unmask]

>Salon Magazine:
>
>I read your article "Nursed to death" on your website today.  This case
>seems very complex but apparently the jury found the mother negligent and
>largely responsible for the baby's death.
>However, I think you are stretching things by blaming breastfeeding with a
>"shoot the messenger" kind of reaction.  Surely you realize that
>bottlefeeding babies die too, for various reasons.  Mothers mix their
>formula improperly, or it is manufactured improperly, or the babies are not
>fed often enough.  The instructions for bottle feeding properly are lengthy
>too.  The number of feedings and the dirty diapers need to be monitored
>just as with breastfeeding.
>
>Your article told about what we in the health care field call "red flags."
>Lots of these red flags should have been waving at the health care
>providers: breast reduction surgery, 12 percent weight loss, disruption of
>breastfeeding x 10 days in the critical early weeks of building a milk
>supply, and with no provision for supporting that milk supply (e.g. with
>pumping) during the period of no breastfeeding.  When the baby went back on
>the breast, I imagine the milk supply was very low at that point.
>>snip
In any case, the mother should have been in contact with a lactation
consultant (LC).  An LC should always be board certified (IBCLC).  Our no. 1
rule is "feed the baby" and we are quick to recommend supplementation when
that is warranted, as was in this case.  An LC would have looked for the
"red flags" and a whole set of indicators, which are obvious during the
first few days, and would quickly intervene to feed the baby, while at the
same time working on improving the breastfeeding to its optimal level, even
if supplementation were needed long-term.