From:
Tina Lavy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 12:00:44 -0500
My profession is an IBCLC. Fifteen years ago, our Director of Health and Human Services did not know what an IBCLC was.  Fast forward to 2017.  That director has since retired and most staff know what IBCLC stands for, though I am often called the "breastfeeding lady" by those who ask for an appointment. We have made progress.  Even outside of the office setting, breastfeeding comes up in conversations.  A good illustration of that was today.  I often have lunch with my husband in the small breakroom at his work.  His ag-tech career means there are often more men in the breakroom than ladies. Today, there were both and the table talk revolved around topics such as harvest, football, etc.  Somewhere, the conversation took a turn and the discussion was about family. One of the guys mentioned his wife and little one. Mom was going back to school and now commuting. He said she pumps her milk while driving an hour to the college as it saves her time, and well, "you gotta do what you gotta do." He commented, "multi-tasking helps when you are a parent".  Most of the guys who work there know I help breastfeeding moms.  In fact, I have done pro bono consultations for some of the wives of these guys.  The conversation was not at all indecent or crude, it was just that - conversation.  I told the dad "let her know that I think she is awesome to be so dedicated breastfeeding".  The rest of the lunch hour talk turned to subjects like the holidays and what their kids wanted for Christmas.  It was very refreshing to hear about a mom fulfilling her breastfeeding goal and nurturing her baby in a discussion that was mainstream and accepted.  This is normalizing breastfeeding.