From:
Cathy Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:22:35 -0700
Hello to all,

I need your help.  I am completely stumped and confused with what this
mom is experiencing.

With permission to post.

Moms symptoms started with breastfeed her second child when little one
was 9 months old. It did not see her in person, all info was given over
the phone. Everything that she described pointed towards thrush:  bright
pink burning itching nipples.  Baby has no symptoms. Mom did what was
suggested to her by her physician. Mom completed 3 courses of Nystatin
for her and baby. While on the Nystatin moms nipples became very dry and
flaky and painful. Mom calls me again and tells me what she had done.  I
gave info about gentian violet with cautions of listening to her body
while on it, make sure that she is using the correct %. Mom then tries
gentian violet which created a worse out come of dryness and cracks.  (I
wondered if had alcohol in it and that was casing more problems ? )Mom
moved and I lost contact with her.  I hear from her months later.  She
couldn't figure it out and out of frustration decides to wean and all
symptoms disappear.

Mom is pregnant with baby #3 and is attending LLL meetings with me
regularly gathering lots of info.  She delivers baby and for the first
month everything is fine.  About when baby is 1 month old, old symptoms
reappear with "rash" that is only under the nipple (on the areola) with
sometimes at the top of the nipple (on the areola); nipples are bright
pink as well as rash.  We discussed maybe that this is not thrush or
maybe she is having a reaction to the Nystatin.  She sees a different
physician who prescribes Diflucan (10 days) and an antibiotic because
the physician thinks the cracks are infected.

Symptoms happen in this course:  some bumps on nipple and directly under
the nipple about the size of a dime, then gets red, then drys out, then
cracks, get flaky, skin flakes off and heals.  Process takes about 1.5
weeks and returns in 1 weekish.  Process starts all over.  Rash has come
back after course of Diflucan (so that didn't work).  Mom states that
when Lanolin applied during the flaking periods it helps it feel better.
 Mom will use nipple shield when the pain is too much for her to handle.

I went to see her yesterday and saw what she was describing.  She told
me that her next step was to go to her physician and see about getting
"it" cultured.  I suggested that she see a Dermatologist as well.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  (she is taking pictures
daily.  I am wondering who I could send them to)

Cathy

Cathy Porter  BA, IBCLC, RLC
From Heart 2 Tummy
Private Lactation Consultation, Breastfeeding Supplies and Rental
Station
(559) 904-7222
11444 13th Ave
Hanford, CA 93230