Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:45:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Hi! I have been off lactnet for a month--had a computer nightmare, but am back on line at last. There were many days I wanted to move to the Kalahari desert to escape all technology!  It is humbling to be at the mercy of technicians who are younger than my children!  And of course when they can't figure out what is wrong, "You need to buy a new computer!" It's a conspiracy. Enough of my ravings!

Have a client who had a baby 9 weeks ago with a uniliateral cleft of lip and alveolar ridge which is being repaired 9/8/99.  (Breastfeeding has gone well. Gained 5lbs 4oz in 9 weeks)  The baby's surgeon says that the baby will be NPO for 24 hours and then need to be cup fed for 7 days. It is my understanding the baby's can go right to breast as soon as they are able after lip repair. Lips are not used to nurse. It would seem that cup feeding would be more stressful on the lip, especially if the baby was stressed at not being able to nurse which will probably be the case! The surgeon says that this regime is unalterable! I have suggested looking for another surgeon.  Anyone have a more current references than I have?  I have:
Weatherly-White et al. 1987. Early repair and breastfeeding for infants with cleft lip. Post Reconstructive Surgery 3(1):879. and also have the Lactation Consultant Series article by Sara Danner and Barbara Wilson-Clay. Thanks! You all are great!
Carol L'Esperance, RN, MSN, IBCLC
Albuquerque, NM 87106

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2