From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:41:43 -0700
My husband is an engineer, and I was originally an accountant; my
undergrad degree is in Bus Admin/Accounting. In the course of a
lactation consultation and all the conversation that takes place, I
sometimes share my background with mothers. Several times I have
received shocked looks and been told, "you sure have good people skills
for an accountant!"  I'm not sure if I should feel complimented or
insulted ;-) , but it sure cracks me up to see their reactions when I
violate their stereotypes.

BTW.... The stereotype really wasn't that far off with me in my earlier
life. I really have developed my people skills tremendously since
entering the breastfeeding counseling field. LLL gave me a great start
and I will be forever grateful to what they and many moms have taught
me.

Lisa Marasco