Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:41:58 PDT
Dear fellow lactnuts - I need your help! This is one I have never heard of before...

        A mother reports that her 5 1/2 week old, 8 pounds 7oz baby *slurps* up the
milk at her breast. She said that a nurse called it "spaghetti sucking" and it seems
as if she is pulling away from the breast with every suck. She thinks it may be
related to the fact that she is giving the baby a bottle once a day in preparation
to going back to work.

        Well, I shall obviously suggest other ways of feeding the baby while she is
gone, as well as making sure that the positioning and latch-on are optimal. However,
I am curious as to whether any of your have seen this phenomenon before, and if so,
what steps were taken that resolved it.

Many thanks,
Norma Ritter IBCLC in private practice, Big Flats, NY
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel