Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:29:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear Penny:

I had a few more thoughts for you on some concrete steps.  

Before starting and so I don't repeat myself less articulately, please go to the archives 
and read my post that was titled something like:  Do look gift horses in the mouth.   
When working with donors you have to be very careful about fully investigating their 
motives.  I've had pharmaceutical companies dump almost expired vitamins and minerals 
or, even worse, give token amounts of money that were really not enough to do any sort 
of a project, demand so much reporting that the costs of preparing the reports exceeded 
the amount of money given, and then take credit for their "donation".  The 
pharmaceutical company that did this was nailed on price fixing charges.

If you really feel that you need to do some immediate work --- you could set it up so that 
you required a cash donation to the long term problem.  Or you could set yourself up so 
that you had a clean donation source --- ie.  someone not invested in profitting from 
human milk that would MATCH the donations of milk with cash so that you would have at 
least as much for developing long term programs.  The ideal would probably to have a 
ratio of at least 10 to 1  That is at least 10 times as much donated for the sustainable 
portion as is put into the short term fix.  In the short run, that might not be doable.

Again, good luck.  I hope you're in this for the long haul.  If you keep your eye on the big 
picture it keeps you from burning out when things don't happen quickly enough to 
alleviate the haunting images that stick with you.

Best regards, Susan Burger.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2