From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:29:03 -0500
Dear Penny:

I had a few more thoughts for you on some concrete steps.

Before starting and so I don't repeat myself less articulately, please go to the archives
and read my post that was titled something like:  Do look gift horses in the mouth.
When working with donors you have to be very careful about fully investigating their
motives.  I've had pharmaceutical companies dump almost expired vitamins and minerals
or, even worse, give token amounts of money that were really not enough to do any sort
of a project, demand so much reporting that the costs of preparing the reports exceeded
the amount of money given, and then take credit for their "donation".  The
pharmaceutical company that did this was nailed on price fixing charges.

If you really feel that you need to do some immediate work --- you could set it up so that
you required a cash donation to the long term problem.  Or you could set yourself up so
that you had a clean donation source --- ie.  someone not invested in profitting from
human milk that would MATCH the donations of milk with cash so that you would have at
least as much for developing long term programs.  The ideal would probably to have a
ratio of at least 10 to 1  That is at least 10 times as much donated for the sustainable
portion as is put into the short term fix.  In the short run, that might not be doable.

Again, good luck.  I hope you're in this for the long haul.  If you keep your eye on the big
picture it keeps you from burning out when things don't happen quickly enough to
alleviate the haunting images that stick with you.

Best regards, Susan Burger.