From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:51:38 -0400
Am looking for info on an allergy drug called Guaivent.  It is being
taken (and has been taken for many years, including during pregnancy) in
a pediatric-dose level 2X/day by a mom who has exhibited no evidence of
milk production in the 2 weeks since the birth of her daughter. She also
gets allergy shots.  She has no symptoms of retained placental fragments
and did show breast changes during pregnancy.  In spite of baby nursing
every 1-3 hours, double-pumping, and use of SNS, the breasts are now
completely soft and look as they did before pregnancy, according to the
mom. Thyroid test was just done (no results yet) and I suggested her
prolactin levels be checked.  She was able to express a few drops of
colostrum several days post-partum, but since has produced nothing.

By the way, this is a 39 year old mom who had 3 miscarriages in her 20's
and since then has not tried to become pregnant.  Fertility drugs were
never taken.  She has polycystic ovaries (with elevated testosterone
levels).  She had gestational diabetes which has cleared.  She is lactose
intolerant and is allergic to dust, mold, etc.  Baby sucks strongly on
fingers (today was first contact by phone) and stays at the breast for 45
minute feedings with the SNS (soy formula).  We are trying to touch all
the bases and I would like to know if the long term use of this drug
could have anything to do with the present situation.  Her
endocrinologist told her that all of her other patients with polycystic
ovary syndrome that did become pregnant were able to breastfeed
successfully (although I have no way of confirming this).  Thanks for
your help.

Sharon Knorr, Newark, NY