From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:09:36 +1000
Hi Lara,
I knew someone would pick up on this!  I used "compliance" in the subject line as this term appears in the literature, along with discussions fo whether "adherence" or other terms are more appropriate.  So it helps when a literature search is done, including the lactnet archives. In addition, the period I researched had an advice environment where the advice was prescriptive, the setting hierarchical, the givers of advice were repeatedly described by interviewees as "authoritarian", and mothers were expected to obey. (That's why they were reluctant to admit not following specific advice.)
I mentioned this research by way of suggesting further research, in today's more interactive approach to providing advice, with different souces of breastfeeding support and advice such as IBCLCs and LLL. Of course, mothers don't live in a vacuum and are exposed to more than one source of information. So studies need to include this factor in their design.
Regards,
Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Private Practice Lactation Consultant & Historian
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia